U.S. Senator (R-Arizona)
Tier 4 - Personhood Never
John McCain does not believe children in the womb have an inalienable right to life.
- Summarizing McCain's Tragic Pro-abortion Record: John McCain's long support for killing unborn children should have obviously disqualified him from Christians' consideration. McCain:
- rejected human life amendments throughout his career
- has given hundreds of millions of tax dollars to abortionists
- funds research that results in killing the tiniest boys and girls
- promises to appoint pro-choice judges
- rejects the right to life of the unborn
- funds surgical abortion
- would kill an innocent unborn baby for the crime of his father
- does not support repeal of Roe v. Wade saying it would force women into "illegal" and dangerous abortions
- was endorsed by Republicans for Choice
- would leave it up to his daughter to decide whether to kill his grandchild or not
- would leave it up to the states to decide whether to permit the killing of preborn children, and
- since in office has supported the killing of 16.8 million unborn children by his own policies and approval.
McCain ran as a pro-life candidate but the sources below tell a different and ugly but truthful story.
- Not Counting Those He Would Save: Since 1987 when he took his current Senate seat, not counting the children aborted under laws and court opinions that John McCain disagrees with, but only counting those whom he affirmatively fights for the right to kill, and those whom he says he will make no effort to protect by law, the total number of actual young boys and girls in America whom Senator John McCain supported killing is 16,814,290. See the calculations below or go to the Exceptions Calculator site to determine the number of children whom any such leader has approved of killing.
- McCain Fully Pro-Choice State-by-State: John McCain "would let states decide their own abortion laws, and he is not seeking a constitutional ban." 1 For a full exposé of the morally bankrupt policy that any regional government whatsoever could have the "right" to decriminalize murder, kidnapping, or any other crime, see ProlifeProfiles.com/RonPaul.
- McCain Supports Killing the Children of Criminals: On "Meet the Press" McCain said he had "come to the conclusion that the exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother are legitimate exceptions" to an outright ban on abortions. "I don't claim to be a theologian, but I have my moral beliefs.". 2 McCain also said that no police report should be required before killing an unborn child for rape (incuding incest). This further demonstrates his false concern for the child, and like all attitudes in support of child killing, harms women even more by further normalizing the non-reporting of rape and even incest. McCain's "exceptions" are exactly what started the abortion holocaust back in the 1960s when states like Colorado were permitting abortion six years before Roe when Republican governor John Love decriminalized abortion for "a rare few" exceptions, including rape and incest, which have led to 60 million children surgically dismembered. And McCain will kill children because their fathers are criminals, yet the Bible teaches, "nor shall the children be put to death for their fathers." (See AmericanRTL.org/Bible.) And even the U.S. Constitution recognizes the inherent immorality of punishing a child for the crime of the father. (See AmericanRTL.org/exceptions.)
- The Horror of McCain's 'Abortion for Incest': Cruelly, the abortion clinic typically covers up the crime of incest by nationwide systematic refusal to comply with mandatory reporting laws for suspected child sexual abuse. And the cruelty intensifies by their typical routine of sending the victim back home to her rapist. Even worse, they often send her home with her rapist, the very criminal who impregnated her and then brought her to Planned Parenthood. Abortion for incest emboldens a criminal to rape his young relative; helps him escape being caught; tempts him to repeat his crime; and is not compassionate because it kills a baby and increases the women’s suffering. Being in rebellion against God's enduring law Do not murder makes everyone influenced by John McCain susceptible to the inexorable law of unintended consequences which only wisdom and justice can overcome.
- McCain Pays for Lethal Embryonic Research with Tax Dollars: John McCain even supports federal funding for lethal embryonic stem cell research 3 McCain voted "Yes" on HR 810 stem cell research bill of 2005, 4 and "Yes" on S 5 stem cell research act of 2007. 5 Both provide for human embryonic stem cell research. Then McCain lies to pro-lifers 6 on his website by stating, In promoting stem cell research, one of the lines that must not be crossed is the intentional creation of human embryos for purposes of research rather than reproduction. Only the gullible would believe such a statement. It could never be determined let alone enforced which embryos are for reproduction and which ones would be used for stem cell research. Then McCain clarifies for the general public that he supports embryonic stem cell research. 7 8
- Vision Forum Reports on National RTL's McCain Conclusion: A National Right To Life report on the Republican U.S. Senator concluded that John McCain is a threat to the pro-life movement. 9
- But Doesn't Nat'l RTL say McCain Opposes Funding? Yes, now endorsing the same man that they deemed a threat to the unborn child, NRTL says that McCain "Voted consistently against federal funding of abortion." They arrive at this by ignoring John McCain's votes that:
- fund surgical abortion
- fund chemical abortion
- fund the killing of many unborn children abroad
- fund the killing of the tiniest children for research, and
- fund Planned Parenthood with far more millions than Bill Clinton ever sought for them.
A National RTL 100% rating is a near-certain indicator that a Republican is pro-choice with exceptions. See National RTL's revealing report that they themselves titled, "John McCain Threatens the Pro-Life Cause." 10 11 Between the time of that report on McCain and their partisan flip-flop to endorse him and mislead Christian pro-lifers into voting for him, the only changes in McCain were for the worse, by adding to his record tax funding for embryonic research and his own promises to nominate pro-choice judges.
- Keyes Key Challenge to McCain: Alan Keyes speaking to John McCain on national television demonstrated that McCain does not believe in the child's God-given right to life. Ambassador Keyes reminded the audience that earlier that day, John McCain had been asked: "What would you say if your daughter was ever in a position where she might need an abortion? You answered that the choice would be up to her and then that you'd have a family conference. That displayed a profound lack of understanding of the basic issue of principle involved in abortion." 12
- Republicans for Choice Endorse McCain: Most candidates would reject support from racist groups, but John McCain has always been more than happy to accept endorsements from those who fight to kill innocent children. In his bid for the presidential nomination, one week after Rudi Giuliani dropped out of the race, and not surprisingly, Republicans for Choice endorsed McCain. 13
- Does McCain Really Even Oppose Roe? A campaign staffer recently misrepresented John McCain's comment to the San Francisco Chronicle in 1999 that, "I'd love to see a point where [Roe] is irrelevant, and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary. But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade, which would then force X number of women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations." 14 According to anti-Christian journalist Matt Welch, in McCain: The Myth of a Maverick:
Explained McCain campaign staffer and social conservative Patrick Hynes on his personal blog in December 2006: "Okay, so what of that quote from 1999? The one about not supporting repeal [of] Roe v. Wade? It was a mistake, plain and simple. And it was immediately clarified." ... In fact, the comment wasn't "immediately clarified" at all. Several days later, when the Washington Post asked the campaign whether McCain had misspoken, they said no. But a few days before the Post story ran, McCain said on CNN... that he rejected a "litmus" test for Supreme Court nominees [Pro-life Profiles note: meaning that like Bush he was promising to nominate pro-abortion justices]. Meanwhile, however, McCain was actively seeking to rewrite the national Republican platform... McCain said in his famous Virginia Beach speech in February 2000 [that politicians should not be] pandering to... the agents of intolerance [such as] Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell... McCain gives the voting public what it wants... a man onto whom people are forever projecting their own ideological fantasies. 15
- Cindy McCain says John SUPPORTS Roe: Two months before election day, Cindy McCain said on national television that her husband John supports Roe v. Wade. Pro-choice Republicans like the McCains have been trained to say they are pro-life while even supporting abortion rights. Consider this CBS News transcript:
Cindy McCain: I'm pro-life. I'm on the record as being pro-life, like my husband...
Katie Couric: And do you believe Roe v. Wade should be overturned?
McCain: No. no.
Couric: No. Why not? Your husband does.
McCain: No. I don't think he does.
Couric: He believes it should be overturned. That's what he told me, and that it should go to the states.
McCain: Well, in that respect. Yes, yeah, I do. I understand what you're saying now. It's a states issue.
Couric: So, you believe it should be overturned or shouldn't be overturned.
McCain: I believe it's a states issue. That I do believe.
[This intense evil and political cover for pro-choice Republicans was pioneered by Christian libertarians including Ron Paul who, like John McCain, is pro-choice state-by-state, as though killing a fetus were a zoning issue. States prosecute, but have no authority to legalize, murder.]
Couric: After the interview we contacted the McCain campaign to clarify Cindy McCain's position on abortion. They told us that, like Laura Bush, Mrs. McCain does not advocate overturning Roe v. Wade, which guarantees the legal right to an abortion.
- Pro-life' means nothing today: in McCain's Republican circles, 'pro-lifers' actually support Roe v. Wade. They support killing unborn children and they lie to Christians to get money and votes to gain power. So Cindy McCain didn't get the memo and wasn't aware of the campaign rhetoric that her husband now wants to overturn Roe v. Wade.
- See American RTL Action's McCain Report: ARTL Action's report titled McCain's Tragic Pro-Abortion Record includes this comparison between Barack Obama and Joseph Biden on the one hand, and John McCain and Sarah Palin on the other, regarding the most fundamental pro-life and pro-death matters:
- McCain Won't Even Defend Marriage: Of all things. In the U.S. Senate John McCain voted against a constitutional amendment to protect marriage as between one man and one woman. He won't protect marriage, won't protect the unborn, and in a McCain administration, he'd allow every state to abort children indiscriminately. Republicans and Democrats together are destroying America while many Christians ignore that out of lust for the rush of political competition. As long as Christians are willing to support unrepentant, anti-marriage, killers of unborn children, America will continue our moral free fall. So when good people support those like John McCain who kill unborn children, the abortionist cannot lose.
McCain tragically believes an innocent unborn baby can be legally killed when the baby's father is a criminal. As far as McCain's exception for the life of the mother is concerned, if the mother's life is in danger, the safest thing for the mother is to simply remove the baby from the birth canal. It is more dangerous to the mother to halt the removal of the baby and taking the time to kill the baby. McCain says he has his "moral beliefs." So, morality to McCain means telling his own daughter she can kill her own unborn child if she chooses, which, of course, would be McCain's grandchild. Many Christians, aware of McCain's pro-abortion record, voted for him anyway because they valued lower taxes for themselves over the lives of unborn children. They need to repent before God.
- 1USA Today on McCain's Abortion Stance
- 2OnTheIssues.com John McCain on Abortion sourcing Meet the Press, The Boston Globe, The New York Times, etc.
- 3OnTheIssues Supports federal funding for embryonic stem cell research
- 4HR 810 stem cell research bill of 2005
- 5S 5 stem cell research act of 2007
- 6U.S. Senator John McCain statement on stem cell research
- 7LifeSiteNews.com: "McCain, Obama defend embryonic stem cell research."
- 8CNSNews.com "Arlen Specter reaffirms McCain's support..."The Washington Post "All eyes on front"
- 9Vision Forum Ministries: McCain's Position on Abortion
- 10Amazon.com carries: NRTL's McCain Threatens Pro-Life Cause
- 11Online archive of NRTL's McCain Threatens Pro-life Cuase by Wittenberg Door blogger Jim Huffman
- 12New York Times "...The question of abortion dogs McCain"
- 13LifeSiteNews.com: Pro-Abortion Republicans Endorse McCain
- 14San Francisco Chronicle "McCain Abortion Stance Angering Both Sides"
- 15Matt Welch, McCain: The Myth of a Maverick, 2007, p. 181-182